How To Be Saved?
Salvation is a supernatural work of God where He forgives the sins of a person and makes him righteous through the work of Jesus. A person is saved by grace through repentance and faith in Jesus.
Salvation Is Offered To All Who Realize They Need It
- Prideful people do not understand their need for salvation. They are satisfied with their own achievements in life. They need to exchange the high view of their self and their importance for a high view of God’s self and His importance.
Psalm 138:6; Isaiah 57:15
- The Bible tells us that we are to become like children if we want to be saved. It means that we have to become humble and dependent. We have to become dependent on God and not dependent on our own wisdom, understanding, and works.
Matthew 11:25; 18:3
- If you are trusting in your own works, goodness, religion or ideas then you may be blinded to your need of help. You have to first realize your condition even if you don’t want to hear it. A sick person, who refuses to admit his condition, cannot be helped by a doctor. We have a sinful condition and are in desperate need of being saved from its penalty.
Luke 5:31–32; 18:9–14; 1 Corinthians 1:26–28
Salvation Is Offered To You By The Grace Of God
- Grace is the free and unmerited favor of God that makes a way for your sins to be forgiven. You must realize that apart from God, there is no one else, not even yourself, which can offer you true salvation.
Romans 3:10; 23; Ephesians 2:8–10
- God showed His grace towards us through the revelation of Jesus Christ. You need to understand who Jesus is and what He did.
– Jesus is the Son of God. He came and lived on this Earth being 100% God and 100% man. He was sinless. He was equal with God. He came as the Savior of the world. This was all testified by the Prophets, by Jesus’ own works, by the Scriptures, and by God Himself.
Matthew 11:27; John 5:33–40
– Jesus willingly died in our place on the cross. He did not have to die for Himself because He had no sin; He loved us though and chose to die in our place. He became sin for us, so that our sin debt could be paid.
John 10:18; Romans 5:8; 6:23; 1 Peter 2:24
– Jesus rose again from the dead. This proved that God accepted His death as our payment for sin. It proved that everything He said and did was true. He lives and reigns today, seated at the right hand of God the Father.
– Jesus is The Way, The Truth, and The Life. There is no other way of salvation. There is no other god or person that can pay the price for your sin. Therefore, salvation is only through Jesus’ death and resurrection.
John 14:6–7; Acts 4:12
Salvation Is Received Through Repentance And Faith In Jesus Christ
- Repentance is renouncing your former way of life (sin, pride, self-righteousness, etc.) and turning to a new way of life that is only found in the Lord Jesus. This is a change of mind, heart, and life based on the understanding of truth.
2 Corinthians 7:9–10; Luke 5:32;13:3; Psalm 51; Jeremiah 14:20
- This new way of life means that Jesus is Lord and you are willing to start yielding to His authority and will.
Acts 26:20; Matthew 3:5–6
- Faith is trusting in Jesus to save you. You trust that Jesus’ death and resurrection are sufficient to forgive your sins. This is more than intellectual assent of the facts about Jesus, but you are basing your salvation on them.
Acts 16:31; 20:21; Romans 3:22, 25, 28; 10:9–11, 17; James 2:19; Matthew 8:29
- Putting your faith in Jesus means you are choosing Jesus above everything else. It means that Jesus is the object of your faith and you are not trusting in anyone else for your salvation. You trust in Jesus alone.
Acts 4:12; 1 Thessalonians 1:9
- Repentance and faith are both gifts of God. There are no human works that can save us. Salvation is all by the grace of God.
Titus 3:5; Ephesians 2:1–5,8; Matthew 19:25-26; Acts 11:18; 2 Timothy 2:25
Salvation Is A Personal Decision
- Every person has to individually respond to Jesus if they want to be saved. A person cannot be saved because he grew up in a Christian family, was baptized, or did good works.
- How do you know if you are ready to repent and put your faith in Jesus for salvation? After hearing the truth, you know and agree that you are a sinner and Jesus is the Son of God who died and rose again, therefore, you are willing to repent and trust in Jesus alone to save you, confessing Him as Lord.
- If you have repented and placed your faith in Jesus, you are saved.
- What is grace?
- Why do we need grace?
- What is repentance?
- What is faith?
- Are you saved? Why?