In Christ, I Am A Man Or Woman Of God.
New Roles: In Jesus Christ, you are given the power to fulfill the roles that your gender and family status mandates, as well as live to the higher standard that your new roles demand. All men and women are equal in the sight of God, but He gave us different roles to fulfill (just like the three persons of the Trinity are equal, but have different roles). Only through Christ can we genuinely fulfill our God-given roles.
In Christ, Men And Women Are One (Value & Importance)
- The Equality of God’s Image: God created all mankind in His image, male and female. This means that you were made to represent God to some degree. God’s original intent was that both genders equally bear His image; therefore, both genders are of equal value and equal importance.
- The Corruption of Sin: Sin corrupted the image of God that we bear. Even though we still are like God more than any other creature (being the only ones made in His likeness), sin corrupted our view of each-other. Men were seen as the superior and women as the inferior. Societies and culture molded themselves after this corrupt image and mankind has been dealing with the consequences ever since.
Genesis 2:8, 17; 3:6; Romans 3:23
- The Spiritual Transformation: The only way to be completely restored back to God’s image was for our sins to be forgiven, but God had greater plans. God through Jesus not only made a way for our sins to be taken away, but also for us to become completely righteous as Him. Therefore, the corrupt attitudes of superiority and inferiority are put to an end (within Christianity) because we are all one in Christ Jesus. All believers, men or women, are of equal value and equal importance.
Romans 5:14-19; Galatians 3:28
In Christ, I Am A Man Of God (Husbands & Fathers)
- A New Understanding: As a male believer, you are called to renew your role as God intended it to be and live to the higher standard that is given to you in the New Testament. As a male believer, you accept your distinct gender as the will of God and don’t see yourself as superior or inferior to females. You should keep watch of danger for yourself and those you lead, stand firm in your faith and the truth of scriptures, be strong in your obedience to the Lord, and do everything with love.
1 Corinthians 16:13-14
- Role in Marriage: As a male believer, you have the role of leadership in your marriage. This means that God has chosen you to lead in the same way that Christ led the church, through sacrificial love. You are to love your wife as your own body. You are responsible to live together with her according to knowledge, showing her honor, respect and love.
1 Corinthians 11:3; Ephesians 5:23; 25-26; 28-29; Colossians 3:19; 1 Peter 3:7
- Role in Family: As a male believer, you are to train up your children in the way of the Lord. Fathers should not provoke their children to anger, lest they become discouraged. As the Father and Husband, it is primarily your role to provide the necessities of life for your own family. This includes providing shelter, food, clothes, and spiritual nourishment.
Colossians 3:20–21; Proverbs 22:6; 1 Timothy 5:8
- Role in the Church: As a male believer, you edify the church through your spiritual gifts and service. You are permitted to hold positions of teaching and authority in the assembly of the church, such as pastor or deacon, as long as you meet the qualifications. Men hold the positions of leadership in the church just like they do in the home. Older men in the church should be treated as fathers and younger men should be treated as brothers. The mature male believers should be teaching the younger believers how to be Christian husbands, fathers and servants of God.
1 Timothy 3:1-7; 5:1; Titus 1:5-9
In Christ, I Am A Woman Of God (Wives & Mothers)
- A New Understanding: As a female believer, you are called to renew your role as God intended it to be and live to the higher standard that is given to you in the New Testament. As a female believer, you accept your distinct gender as the will of God and don’t see yourself as inferior or superior to males. You should be full of good works, good speech, prayer, hospitality, compassion; and be modest in appearance, demeanor, and behavior.
1 Timothy 2:9-15; Proverbs 31:10-31
- Role in Marriage: As a female believer, you have the role of submission in your marriage. This means that God has chosen you to submit in the same way that the church submits to Christ. You are responsible to willingly put yourself under the leadership of your husband (not just another man), because this is what is fit in the Lord. You should love, serve, submit, and take care of your husband.
Ephesians 5:22; 24; Colossians 3:18; 1 Corinthians 7:32-40
- Role in Family: As a female believer, you are to train up your children in the way of the Lord. As the Mother and Wife, it is primarily your responsibility to manage, guide, and keep your home. This includes loving, teaching, caring for, and bearing children.
Colossians 3:20–21; Proverbs 22:6
- Roles in the Church: As a female believer, you edify the church through your spiritual gifts and service. You aren’t permitted to hold positions of teaching and authority in the assembly of the church, such as pastor or deacon. You hold the positions of submission in the church just like you do in the home. Older women in the church should be treated as mothers and younger women should be treated as sisters. The mature female believers should be teaching the younger believers on how to be Christian wives, mothers and servants of God.
1 Timothy 2:11-14; 5:2-16; 1 Corinthians 11:3-16; 14:33-36; Titus 2:3-5
- Who did God create man and women in the image of?
- Why are men and women equal?
- Why is there a problem of superiority and inferiority among the genders?
- What are the roles of a man of God?
- What are the roles of a woman of God?