China Ramblings! Podcast, Episode 2, Bill Wallace

Podcast Notes
William L. Wallace (Bill)
Born: January 19, 1908
Died: February 10, 1951
From Knoxville, TN.

Who was Bill Wallace? (R.p.72)

He felt God wanted him to be a missionary one afternoon while working on a car in his garage (p.2) and since that moment, he gave his life to preparing for that task.

God in His sovereignty place cry of an older missionary together with the willingness of a younger one to see the work go on in China. Bill was willingly to “go anywhere He was needed.” (p.5)

July 25, 1935 (10 years since his commitment to being a missionary) he was now accepted as a missionary to Wuzhou, China (梧州 Wúzhōu ). (p.13)

“Senders” and “sending” isn’t a new idea. In 1935, at Broadway Baptist Church in Knoxville, in His last day, the church hosted a “Bill Wallace Day.” They took an offering so big that it paid for his first years’ salary, language school, and other expenses. (p.14) They had “missionary albums” that listed the missionaries with their pictures.

Several weeks later he arrived.

He visited the hospital and area he was going to work and after that left to go start language school. He spent a year learning Cantonese before he would return to the hospital to work there, but continue his language studies in the afternoon. (p.34)

When Bill was finally able to start working in the Hospital, he performed all the surgeries. It results in being able to reach more people for Christ. (R.p37)

At this time, the Japanese were at war with China, and they started bombing the city where Bill was working. (p.44)

The hospital was extremely busy with the constant bombing and mercilessly machine-gunning of the Japanese. Being overwhelmed and exhausted, Bill finally was able to take a break and visit another part of the country. Being depressed by the endless amount of work to do, he ran into another missionary doctor in another city who said (R.p.52).

While in Canton, another city, the Japanese took it over. It is incredible to read of these stories and their faithfulness to continue on in the midst of such violence.

Their commitment to helping the Chinese through all of this cause them to change their minds about foreigners. (R.p.73)

Time passed. Bill went on furlough. He returned to China. The bombs came as before. His response (R.p.97)

They stayed as long as they could until the city itself was being evacuated because of the Japanese invasion. The had a traveling hospital for a time and continued to care for people even in the midst of such chaos.

The Chinese respected him because he lived like them. (R.p. 115, p.126)

Afterward, the war they could finally return and open the continue the hospital. A 1947 report concluded… (R.p142-143).

Bill got sick (paratyphoid) but eventually pulled through though many expected that he was going to die.

Now there was a new problem, it was no longer the Japanese but the Chinese Communist (1948). (p.157)

In 1949, the communist were advancing, and it was only a matter of time before their city was taken over. Since the communist were not favorable to foreigners, this means they had to make a decision. (R.p.162)

Bill decided to stay.

In 1950, the Korean conflict caused Americans living in the city to be in a tough situation. There was much propaganda against the Americans. Eventually, because of this and the problem of Bill’s good reputation in the community, the communist had to do something, and they devised a plan to arrest him on trumped up charges. (R.p.194-195)

They couldn’t get a false confession out of Bill Wallace and one night they paid him a visit in his prison cell. (R.p.198-199)

They tried to say it was a suicide, but the markers on the body showed that it wasn’t.

After they had buried him, His Chinese friends collected enough money to put a monument on it. (R.p200)

What are you doing with your life?

Join the Conversation

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.