What About Sexuality?
God’s will concerning a person’s sexuality and sexual behavior is clearly presented in the Bible. Any rejection of this is sin against God and His will for mankind. These sinful lifestyles (which include: fornication, homosexuality, pornography, transgender, bestiality) will be judged and those who habitually live in these sins and never repent will not inherit the Kingdom of God.
God’s Will Regarding Sexuality
- God created man with two genders: male and female. Ones gender cannot be chosen, but it is automatically chosen as part of the natural process of reproduction that God created. Your gender upon birth is the will of God for your life. Therefore, any kind of modification, dissatisfaction, or trying to be another gender (transgender, cross-dressing) is sinning against the will of God.
Genesis 1:27; Deuteronomy 22:5; Psalm 139:13–16
- God’s original intent is for one man to marry one women during their lifetime (if one dies then they are free to remarry). All sexual behavior inside of this relationship is considered good, holy, and acceptable. Therefore, any sexual behavior (fornication, homosexuality, pornography, bestiality) outside of this relationship is sinning against the will of God.
Genesis 2:24, 25; Hebrews 13:4; Ephesians 5:22–33
Identifying Sexual Sins
1 Corinthians 6:9–10; 1 Timothy 1:9–10; Ephesians 5:5–7; Revelation 21:8; 22:15
- The Sin of Fornication: Sexual acts outside of the marriage relationship of one man and one woman. This includes sinning by having sex before marriage with the person you’re dating, sex with your family members, sex at parties, group sex, prostitution, etc.
Leviticus 18:6–18; 1 Corinthians 5:1–8
- The Sin of Adultery: Sexual acts with someone who is married but not their spouse.
- The Sin of Homosexuality: Sexual acts with those of the same gender, whether they are the passive or dominant partner.
Genesis 19:1–29; Leviticus 18:22; 20:13; Romans 1:26–27; Jude 7
- The Sin of Bestiality: Sexual acts with animals.
Leviticus 18:23; 20:15–16
- The Sin of Lust: Sexual acts entertained in the mind even with no physical contact.
- All sexual sins will fall into the above categories, but they may also have other names; thus, we note that the Bible condemns all of the following as well: rape, molestation, sex slaves, pornography, orgies, sexual fantasies, child molesting, etc.
- The Punishment for Sexual Sins: The punishment for all sin is death and eternal separation from God. Anything outside of God’s will for sexual behavior is sin. The Bible makes is clear what those sins are and says that those who habitually live in those sins without repentance and faith in Jesus will not inherit the Kingdom of God.
The Lifestyle Of A Believer
1 Corinthians 6:11; Ephesians 5:8–10; 1 Thessalonians 4:3–4
- Believers have been washed, sanctified, and justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and the Holy Spirit. We used to live in these sinful lifestyles, but now we desire to live a holy life that is pleasing to the Lord.
- Believers cannot be actively living unrepentant sexually immoral lifestyles. Before our salvation some of us were fornicators, homosexuals, and adulterers, but God set us free from that. Therefore, that should be our former lifestyle not our current lifestyle.
Overcoming The Sins Of Sexuality
1 John 1:9; Romans 12:2; Philippians 4:8; James 1:13–18
- Realize that God made you the way you are. Understand that whatever your gender is, accordingly to your physical anatomy at birth, that it is the will of God for your life. Action: Ask God to forgive you of your dissatisfaction with your gender and choose to accept the way you were made. Then try to live with a distinction according to your gender: men live masculine lives and women live feminine lives (dress, behavior, etc.).
- Realize sex was created by God and it is to be enjoyed, but God has also set boundaries for its use. Only in the relationship of marriage should one enjoy sex. Action: Ask God to forgive you for misusing sex for your own gratification and not living accordingly to His will. Then try to live with distinction, not entertaining sexual thoughts, or being involved in sexual activities until you are married. Once you are married, enjoy.
- Realize that God does not tempt any man, but we are tempted when we are drawn away by our own lust and enticed. When lust hath conceived, it brings forth sin and sin brings forth death. Action: Ask God to help you be strong and do His will according to the power of the indwelling Holy Spirit. Then don’t think on sexual thoughts, but place yourself in situations where it isn’t easy to commit these sins and take practical steps to keep from looking at pornography, etc.
Answers To Tough Questions
- Can a person be a homosexual, fornicator, or prostitute and be a Christian? Those who habitually live in this kind of sin and never repent will not inherit the Kingdom of God, even if they claim to be Christians. Believers who affirm the full authority of Scripture cannot also affirm relationships that the Bible says is sinful.
- Can I only have sex with my spouse? Yes, the Bible confines all the pleasures of sexual acts to the marriage relationship of one man and one woman.
- How do you know God’s will regarding your gender?
- Who created sex and should it be enjoyed? When？
- What is God’s will for sexual behavior?
- What is the lifestyle of believers?
- What are ways to overcome the sins of sexuality?