What About Abortion?
Abortion is the termination of a baby while it is still in the womb of its mother. All abortion is sin because all mankind from conception on are beings created in the likeness of God. Believers are called out of this sinful practice and are to uphold the value of life given by God.
The Significance Of Human Life
- Children are a heritage of the LORD. God has the ability to open and close the womb. When God gives a women conception, a child exists. Therefore, life begins at conception. When the paternal chromosomes are united through fertilization to the maternal ones, its marks the beginning of a new life.
Genesis 25:21; Psalm 127:3; Ruth 4:13
- God is the source of everything that is alive and He is the one who created everything. Therefore, everything that has life should be regarded as a creation of God.
John 1:1–3; Acts 17:24–29
- Every person is fearfully and wonderfully made by the omniscient and omnipresent God. The Bible describes how God was involved in the intricate process of us becoming complete while we were in the womb. Therefore, any baby in the womb, no matter what stage, from conception on should be regarded as a human fearfully and wonderfully fashioned by the hands of a loving God.
Psalm 139:13–18; Job 10:8, 11–12; 31:15; 33:4; Jeremiah 1:5
- Every person, no matter the race, nationality, gender, or deformity, is given life by God. We have no right to abort a human life in the womb based on any of the above criteria. Life given by God triumphs all reasons for abortion and God can even use deformities for His glory.
Psalm 51:5; Exodus 4:11; John 9:1–3
- Every person is made in the likeness of God. If we honor God because of who He is, then we should also honor mankind because we are made in His likeness. We are not God, but we have certain attributes, like the ability to have real loving relationships, that separate us from other things God created and made us like Him. It is also on this basis that God says murder of a human life is wrong and is punishable by capital punishment.
Genesis 1:26–28; 9:6–7; James 3:9
- God’s law also gives insight that God considers a baby inside the womb as a life. If a man hits a woman that is pregnant and the baby comes out and dies, then that man was to also die. The baby is protected in the womb of the mother and anything causing the baby to come out, moreover, to cause its death, was a sin punishable by death.
The Believers Attitude
- Believers live to love God with all their heart, soul, mind, strength, and to love their neighbors as themselves. Therefore, we see abortion as breaking both of these rules. It is not loving God because you are killing a life that is created by the hands of God and you are not loving your neighbor because you are participating in the sin of murder against them.
Matthew 22:36–40; 1 John 4:19–21
- Believers see all murder as an act that is against the will of God that stems from sin and is provoked by Satan. Believers don’t seek to take the life of others but give their lives for the benefit of others in the same way Jesus gave His life for us.
John 8:44; 15:11–13
Answers To Tough Questions
- Is there any circumstance that a person should get an abortion? No, and it doesn’t matter if you don’t want the baby, you broke the law by getting pregnant, the baby has a deformity, you can’t afford the expense of another child, the mother may die if she gives birth to the baby, you conceived a child in rape, you got pregnant on accident or the contraception failed, there is no reason before God to abort a baby.
- Isn’t the baby just tissue or part of the mother’s body until it is born? No, once the chromosomes are united, it is a human life. The baby is not part of the mother’s body, but an individual that grows, forms, and develops in the protection of the mother’s womb. Therefore, terminating a pregnancy is not getting rid of unwanted tissue or part of your body, but it is killing a human life.
- Are there certain types of abortion that are a legitimate options for people? No, anything that seeks to terminate a baby after the chromosomes are united is wrong. People can use measures to keep this uniting from happening, but any medical procedure or medicine that seeks to stop it after the baby is conceived is wrong.
- Can I abort the baby because it isn’t the gender I want? No, abortion for the reason of gender selection is wrong. You can desire to have a child of a certain gender, but once the child is conceived and the gender is revealed, it is the will of God for you.
- What happens to aborted babies? The Bible gives some evidence that babies who die will be redeemed by the grace of God. Either way, we know God will do what is just and right. Knowing this doesn’t validate the practice of abortion (because murder is being committed), but it is God working something good out of something heinous.
Psalm 22:9–11; 2 Samuel 12:23; Galatians 5:19–21
- What happens to those who commit abortion? If you had an abortion, were involved in the process of an abortion, or encouraged others to get an abortion for any reason, know that before God you are guilty of murder. Like all sin, the punishment is death and eternal separation from God. But there is good news, God loves you. He loves you so much that He sent Jesus to die in your place. Jesus already paid the price for your wrong doing. If you are not a believer, you need to repent and put your faith in Jesus. He will forgive you. If you are a believer, you need to repent and know that, in Christ, Jesus already has forgiven you and He wants you to have victory over the guilt, sorrow and pain that follows abortion. He no longer sees you as a murderer but as a righteous person whom He loves. One day you will be redeemed and reunited with your child.
- When is a baby considered to be a human life?
- Who is the source of all life? Who created everything?
- Why is murder wrong?
- What is a believer’s attitude towards abortion?
- Is there any reason to commit abortion?