15:1-16:21 The Seven Vial Judgements
Memory Verse: Revelation 15:3–4
15:1-8, 16:1 The Seven Angels With The Seven Last Plagues
- 15:1 John saw another sign in heaven that was great and marvelous. There were seven angels with the seven last plagues—not diseases but impacts of judgment. They represent the final wrath of God to be poured out upon the earth.
- 15:2-4 Then John saw platform that looked like it were a sea of glass mingled with fire. The wonder of heaven is seen in the “sea of glass.” It is also is mixed with fire—representing coming judgment. John also sees the believers from the tribulation period standing on the glass. They stand victorious over the Antichrist (the beast), his image, his mark and the number of his name. They had the harps of God—which represents rejoicing and praise. They were singing the song of Moses—the servant of God and of the Lamb—both have the same themes of deliverance. They praise the Lord God Almighty, the King of the saints because: (1) His works are great and marvelous. (2) His ways are just and true. (3) His holiness should cause all to fear and glorify Him. (4) His judgements are revealed and all nations shall come and worship before Him.
Exodus 15, Revelation 5
- 15:5-8, 16:1 Afterwards, John saw that the heavenly Holy of holies (temple of the tabernacle of the testimony) open. The seven angels with the seven plagues came out of the temple clothed in pure and white linen—representing holiness and purity—and having their breasts girded with golden girdles—possibly representing their special positions. Then one of the four beasts (cherubim) gave the seven angels seven golden vials full of the wrath of the eternal God. This caused the temple to be filled with smoke from the glory and power of God. No man was permitted to enter into the temple until these seven plagues were fulfilled. Finally, John heard a great voice out of the temple saying to the seven angels, “Go your ways, and pour out the vials of the wrath of God upon the earth.”
16:2-21 The Seven Vial Judgements Are Poured Out
- 16:2 The First Vial: The first angel pours out the first vial upon the earth which caused a noisome and grievous sore to fall upon the unbelievers (which had the mark of the beast, and upon them which worshipped his image). This will cause them physical torment.
- 16:3 The Second Vial: The second angel pours out the second vial upon the sea which caused it to become as the blood of a dead man killing all sea life. Seventy percent of the earth’s surface is the ocean, thus this will have a worldwide impact with all sea life dead.
- 16:4-7 The Third Vial: The third angel pours out the third vial upon the rivers and fountains of waters which caused them to become blood. All fresh drinking water will be unusable. Then John heard the angel of the waters state the eternal God is righteous in these judgements. This is revenge for the martyrs against those who shed the blood of saints and prophets. They are only worthy of blood to drink since they shed blood. Then John heard another out of the altar say, “Even so, Lord God Almighty, true and righteous are thy judgments.” God is completely justified in these fierce judgments being poured out.
Romans 12:19; Hebrews 10:30
- 16:8-9 The Fourth Vial: The fourth angel pours out the fourth vial upon the sun which caused power to be given to it to scorch men with fire and men were scorched with great heat. The sun will supernaturally become so hot that it scorches the unbelievers. In spite of these judgments, the unbelievers refused to repent and give God glory but instead blasphemed His name, the one with power over these plagues.
- 16:10-11 The Fifth Vial: The fifth angel pours out the fifth vial upon the seat of the beast (Antichrist) which caused his kingdom to be full of darkness. The earth will become completely dark. Each vial adds more suffering—they build on each other and the unbelievers gnawed their tongues for pain. They continued to refuse to repent of their deeds but continued to blasphemed the God of heaven because of their pains and sores.
- 16:12-14, 16 The Sixth Vial: The sixth angel pours out the sixth vial upon the great River Euphrates which caused the water thereof to be dried up so that the way of the kings of the East might be prepared. The river is dried up so the kings will be able to gather at Armageddon for the final battle. Then John saw three unclean devil spirits (like frogs) come out of the mouths of the satanic trinity (dragon, beast, false prophet). They performed miracles to deceive the kings of the whole world and to gather them to the battle of that great day of God Almighty. They gathered them together at Armageddon.
- 16:15 Then before the final judgment is poured out, believers are encouraged by Jesus. He reminds us that He is coming back. (Behold, I come as a thief.) Then He says that we are blessed if we are ready and prepared for his coming. (Blessed is he that watcheth, and keepeth his garments, lest he walk naked, and they see his shame.)
- 16:17-21 The Seventh Vial: The first angel pours out the first vial into the air which caused:
- A great voice to come out of the temple of heaven, from the throne, saying, “It is done.” Just as Jesus proclaimed, “It is finished,” before He died on the cross for the salvation of those who repent, God proclaims, “It is done,” before His final judgement is carryout for damnation on the unrepentant.
- There were voices, thunders, lightnings. A storm of some sort possibly started.
- There was a great and mighty earthquake that was never seen before. This caused Jerusalem (the great city) to divide into three parts. The cities of the nations fell.
Matthew 27:51–54; Zechariah 14:4–10
- The great Babylon (the Antichrist’s capital city) came in remembrance before God, to give unto her the cup of the wine of the fierceness of his wrath.
- Every island fled away, and the mountains were not found.
- Great hail fell out of heaven upon men, every stone about 100 lb. (about the weight of a talent). Unbelievers continued to blaspheme God because of the plague of the hail was exceeding great.
- What did John see believers doing?
- Who did John see coming out of the temple? What did they have?
- What were the effects of the first six vials?
- What was declared as the final vial was poured out? What happened after that?
- Did these signs, wonders and judgements cause men to repent?