Joshua is getting ready to send the Reubenites, Gadites, and the half tribe of Manasseh back to the land of their possession. Just before he sends them away he gives them words of advice on how to continue to serve their God that has been so Faithful to them. They were moving and leaving their brethren and going on the other side of Jordan away from the tabernacle, alter, etc. and could be under temptation to serve other gods or weaken their relationship with God. These words of advice were to combat that and we need to heed to these words also, especially those who are moving out of the comfort of their Christian home, students going off to college, or missionaries going to the missions field. Joshua said, “But take diligent heed to do the commandment and the law, which Moses the servant of the LORD charged you,” (Joshua 22:5) and follows it up with a list of of five things to do. As Christians, we no longer are under the law, but we can look at each of theses areas and strengthen our relationship with God if we are diligent to do them and watch Him work all things according to our good!
- Love the LORD your God – It means God is the first priority in your life. No other god or idol will take His place because your affections is set on Him and Him alone. You are not serving a dead god or some mystical being, you have a relationship with the God of heaven. Do you love Him?
- Walk in all His ways – As you grow in your relationship with the Lord you learn what He likes and dislikes. Through His Word you are “instructed in righteousness” and you seek to obey Him and not walk in your ways or what you think is right but walk in the way the Lord has made clear what is right.
- Keep His commandments – If God said it, that settles it. What He has told us to do we should do, everything from abstaining to sin and seeking to be holy. As Christians, we must seek to obey all his commands including that of “Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature” (Mark 16:15).
- Cleave unto Him – Cleave is the opposite of depart. It means to be close to God in every way. It has the idea of holding closely, being in that close relationship, not a loose, on and off, complacent Christians! Are you cleaving to Him? Seeking to know Him more and more everyday or is He just a genie in a bottle to you?
- Serve Him with all your heart and with all your soul – He is saying, “serve God 100%!” With ALL of your being, with everything you are. It will be obvious to your family, friends, co-workers, and everyone around you, who your God is and who you choose to serve. Does He have all of you or just part?
“But take diligent heed to do the commandment and the law, which Moses the servant of the LORD charged you, to love the LORD your God, and to walk in all his ways, and to keep his commandments, and to cleave unto him, and to serve him with all your heart and with all your soul.” (Joshua 22:5)