China doesn’t need more missionaries but it does need more church planting missionaries.
I will be the first to say that there are TONS of “missionaries” in China. If you are a Christian college in america, you probably have some outreach program in China. If you are in a T.E.S.L. program, you are probably doing some outreach in China. If you are in a Study abroad program, you are probably in some outreach in China. If you are part of a College Ministry or Christian Organization, you probably have something going on in China. That fact is everyone is in China.
So what’s the problem?
The problem is not the amount of laborers but the type of laborers. China has an over abundance of nominal evangelist and a lack of bold local-church-planters. That may seem too harsh and maybe I am over exaggerating but we have to answer the question, “Why is China still unevangelized with an abundance of Christian workers living in the country?”
Most people the come to China for the purpose of seeing the lost reach with the Gospel, come with the right heart and motives. But China needs more than a good hearted Christian. China needs willing, trained, bold men of the Book! Men that have a high view of God and a high view of His Church.
China needs missionaries that…
- meet the qualifications in 1 Timothy 3:1-7.
- refuse to get lost or side tracked in being “under cover.”
- teach more Bible than they teach English.
- will plant churches instead of just being a helps ministry.
- are in for the long haul instead of few year investment with little fruit.
- fight fear and boldly live out their faith.
- have real practical training.
- willing to train the nationals in more than a 10 step discipleship class.
- are focused on reaching all peoples not just select groups.
- are willing to have strong accountability vs. no accountability.
- came to China with more than the ”getting there” syndrome.
Maybe you are considering China. And believe me China needs you! But it needs more than your presence. It doesn’t need another foreigner, tourist, or traveler. It needs someone more consumed with God than having an interest in eating weird foods and experiencing a different culture. May you and I both work at being that person so that China may be reached with the Gospel.
I pray that God will send forth more laborers!