More questions and ideas to consider when planning a conference and wanting to be a blessing to missionaries:
- Will it contain their favorite treats or is it your favorite treats?
- Ask them what are their favorites and give examples so they know the type of items your are looking for.
- Don’t fill it full of “leftovers that a missionary could use.”
- If you received the gift basket, would you be blessed by it?
- Can the missionary use the items given?
- Meals are always a good time to get to know the missionaries.
- Home cooked meals are usually good after lots of travel and eating on the road.
- Are there any allergies? Or special needs?
- What are their favorite foods and deserts?
- Would they prefer not to eat so many times during the week? Are some meals optional?
Gift Cards vs. Gifts vs. Money vs. Going Shopping:
If giving gift cards:
- Make sure the store/restaurant isn’t only in your state.
- Make sure they can use the cards when they leave your conference.
- Ask them what gift cards would be a blessing to them.
- Gift cards are good when you want the missionary to spend money on something they normally wouldn’t but would be blessing to them.
- Are they leaving for the field soon? So the cards wouldn’t be helpful?
If giving gifts:
- Ask the missionary and family what he needs/wants and give examples so he knows the price range you are looking for.
- If the missionary is not local, will be they be able to transport the gifts back home?
- Are they leaving for the field soon? Can they take the gifts with them?
- Do they have a home, or will that gift just go in storage?
If giving money:
- Money seems to be the most generic, but it doesn’t have to be. Find a way to give the money that is meaningful in the way that you give it.
- Money is a blessing because it goes right where the need is.
- Money can also be given towards something specific.
If going shopping:
- Does the missionary know the amount they are to spend?
- Do they have to buy something at that store, even though they can’t find anything they like/want/need?
- Do they really need what you want to buy them?
- Have you asked them where they would like to go shopping? Or will they have options?